Thursday, March 12, 2009

Madoff

Just received from my friend Chris:
I’m reading the text of Bernie Madoff’s guilty plea and wondering if he wrote it or some lawyer did. And I wonder what else he is concealing, namely how much his wife and family knew about what he did and how much they were involved. After 8 years of lies and obfuscation by the Bush administration I’m almost grateful to Madoff for being relatively honest. And the fact that I feel that way, that I would toss a shred of forgiveness toward the guy, in the wake of thousands losing everything they owned because of him, makes me really angry at myself. So I’m trying to determine which of the following is more true: that we are all human and want to believe that people can’t possibly be as evil as we think they are, or the guy is such a master bullshitter that he could talk his way out of anything.

No comments: