Tuesday, March 10, 2009

More Ollie Akers Douglas


Dear Giles, my clever friend and gallery owner has been to check out the Ollie Akers Douglas show for me, and likes what he sees. This means a lot coming from Giles, who has a tendency to damn by faint praise, or faint by damn praise. This painting I love. Clouds over Cornfields. 24 inches by 24 inches. This gives me the same feeling as reading Roger Deakin writing in Wildwood about sleeping outside in the field in his sheep's hut bunk bed in June, and waiting at 4 to the sound of the deer grazing around him. When I read this I'm not sure if I'm awake or asleep but I know once I felt that way, waking up in the middle of the night to the fresh, bright new day, dew still on the ground, and that blue optimistic sky.

View more Oliver Akers Douglas here (Josie Eastwood Fine Art). The exhibition is up at the Air Gallery in Dover Street, W1, through March 14. Please don't buy this painting. I'm saving up.

No comments: