Monday, August 10, 2009

Fishing with Mystery


NPR's Speaking of Faith is always fascinating even though I catch it by chance, driving to on Sunday afternoons. This week's show focuses on James Prosek, author of The Complete Angler, who found God through "the theatre of nature" and creativity (writing, painting, drawing). He has a soft, kind voice, and a fascination with trout. I stopped my car to hear the end of the piece. You can listen here.


Excerpt from “The Brook” by Alfred Tennyson

I steal by lawns and grassy plots,
I slide by hazel covers;
I move the sweet forget-me-nots
That grow for happy lovers.

I slip, I slide, I gloom, I glance,
Among my skimming swallows;
I make the netted sunbeam dance
Against my sandy shallows.

I murmur under moon and stars
In brambly wildernesses;
I linger by my shingly bars;
I loiter round my cresses;

And out again I curve and flow
To join the brimming river,
But I go on forever.

No comments: