Monday, January 03, 2011

Lovely lentils

Good morning, good morning from Laurel Canyon where I've been secretly hoping for snow.  My friends in Valencia have snow and the Grapevine is closed, so can't a girl dream?

As this is the first Monday of the new decade (my son disputes this; he says it was last year) here's a hearty, honest, cheap and simple recipe for lentils and rice from the ever-brilliant Mark Bittman.  This can be made with or without bacon.  It's from this article on sustainable food (I like this thinking for 2011).

(c) The Nourishing Gourmet

Ottolenghi's version of rice and lentils, the Egyptian Kosheri is here. (This one is served with a spicy tomato sauce.)

Need I remind you that lentils are 26% protein, and they also contain dietary fibre, folate, vitamin B1 and minerals. Mixing them with rice results in a complete protein. They're supremely good for you. And they're delicious. 

Other lentil dishes on Miss Whistle may be found here, here and here.

No comments: