|Amid Marta's lovely pots and pans, in Concord, MA|
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 medium, or 2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups lentils
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro ( or 2 T fresh)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Heat oil over medium heat in large pot. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and cook, partially covered, about 15 minutes.
- Add the lentils, kale, and stock, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and cook, partially covered, about 1 1/2 hours until lentils are soft.
- Refrigerate at least overnight and up to 2 days.
- Add the crushed red-pepper, basil, and cilantro and gently reheat. Add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Garnish with cheese.