My favourite response to the eclipse is "is that it? I thought it would get darker." It's the most British response you could imagine. In Mallorca and Barcelona and Poland, according to the New York Times coverage, people are wearing their eclipse glasses, and brandishing their cereal boxes and colanders, and standing in the ocean, and whooping, couples with their arms around each other, people grinning into the dissolving sun, bespectacled babies strapped to their backs, but in England, people are lying around in parched parks, beers in hand, being woozily underwhelmed. Charlie made a tiny hole in a piece of printer paper and we sat in the garden next to the fruit cage and marveled at the tiny emerging image of the crescent as we baked. Later on, when it was dark, we lay down in the same spot, wrapped in blankets, and watched the Perseid meteor shower. It takes a full fifteen minutes for your eyes to become accustomed to the light, and then you can see everything. Stars shooting across the sky, disoriented planes, the jiggedy movement of a supposed ufo, the milky way. What on earth having we been doing all our lives that was so important that we haven't done this before, I ask Charlie? Why aren't we here every night. This whole show is here every night!
We're all blundering through, aren't we? I forget and then remember what I'm supposed to be doing. I forget that there is another place to be that isn't the bad place. I forget that there is just a step to be taken and you will be met. I forget that I won't be saved. That we are the ones that save ourselves. That everything is here. Everything you need is here. (Dont' forget.) Everything you need is here and available, but you have to ask, or move toward it, or find the tools to get you from here to there. There are no free rides. You will be lifted if you jump into the air, higher than you can possibly jump. But this is true: the universe will meet you, but not if you stay in your safe and rigid box. Honestly, I get stuck in the box a lot. The box shapeshifts too. Sometimes the box is my chair, my desk, my laptop, my work. Sometimes the box is my thoughts when I believe them too much. Sometimes the box is the shadow I think I've ditched the other side of the Mississippi while taking the long road to Damascus. The imaginary ogre. The egoic reaction. Two steps are all that is needed. One foot. And then the other. Repeat. You will be met.
I work with a company that takes the day off on Friday in the summer. So civilized, right? Today I've been dreaming of taking the dog (the two year old Whippet, not the fifteen year old Frenchie) to the beach on the south coast. It's probably an hour and a half away and it's all I could dream of yesterday on The Hottest Day of the Year, as I made endless glasses of iced lemon squash. I dreamed of a secret beach that no-one had heard of, with seagulls and white sand and millions of shells and soft lapping waves. I know this will not be the reality. I know there will be red-faced middle aged men with beers in their hands and a beach awash in umbrellas, but I don't really care. The sea is the sea. Sea. Walking. With dog. And journal. What's not to love?
No comments:
Post a Comment