Monday, May 26, 2008

On blogging (snooze)

I'm sicking of reading about Emily Gould. Sorry. If you're not, read the NY Times Magazine cover story here. Or listen to her on NPR here.

I like this Jeff Jarvis quote:

'We all can speak in blogs and be found via Google and stay connected in Facebook. This is our identity. Like anything else, this publicness can be misused and abused. But I argue that the benefits of publicness will outweigh the negatives. The internet is making us more social. And our mutually assured humiliation may make us more forgiving.'

That is my self-satisfied, bury it under the carpet, died in the wool Anglican way of saying, I'm blogging. It makes me happy. Who are you to judge me? :-D

2 comments:

The Frog Prince said...

Yes, exactly, exactly!

Wzzy said...

When we launched AOL UK in early 1996 - pre-blogging, of course - even we were amazed to see the large margin by which Chat was the most-trafficked area of the service.

My theory was and remains that as our world becomes increasingly high-tech, we instinctively gravitate towards the high-touch aspects of it (such as chatting, blogging, and commenting) to compensate and to provide our ever-necessary measure of human contact.