Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sweet sorrow

It's a grey morning and I've discovered a book by Eric Wilson entitled Against Happiness: In Praise of Melancholy, which fits my mood perfectly. Here's an excerpt. You can read more & listen to the NPR piece here.
At the behest of well-meaning friends, I have purchased books on how to be happy. I have tried to turn my chronic scowl into a bright smile. I have attempted to become more active, to get away from my dark house and away from my somber books and participate in the world of meaningful action. … I have contemplated getting a dog. I have started eating salads. I have tried to discipline myself in nodding knowingly. … I have undertaken yoga. I have stopped yoga and gone into tai chi. I have thought of going to psychiatrists and getting some drugs. I have quit all of this and then started again and then once more quit. Now I plan to stay quit. The road to hell is paved with happy plans.

No comments: