Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Please stop picking on Scientology

I'm going to sound like the Daily Mail here and for that I apologize, but I have to get this off my chest: I cannot begin to imagine what John and Kelly Travolta are going through after their son, Jett, died last week in the Bahamas. We do not expect to bury our children. It is absolutely tragic. My heart goes out to them. One thing is clear to me, however: People need to lay off the Scientologists. All these whispers that somehow this death might have been avoided had they taken this or that medicine, that Scientologists are somehow callous ninnies that don't care about the health and wellbeing of their children -- it's all crap. Dangerous, serious crap. And I am ashamed that this is where we are. When did Scientology suddenly become fair game? Live and let live (as I like to tell my children, uselessly, mid-quarrel) -- isn't that what we should be espousing? Or as Thelwell liked to say: Treat others as you would like to treated.

No comments: