Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Once again, Stand with Haiti

The wind is swirling through the canyon and more rain is due. I have been at my desk all morning, writing something that reminds me of summer in Tjome.  But my thoughts keep coming back to the earthquake.

I'm finding it impossible to ignore what's going in Haiti. That might be clear to those who are my Twitter or Facebook friends. Ophelia Dahl, executive director of Partners In Health tells Katie Couric "a friend, a doctor who spent many years in Haiti doesn't think he'll ever get the smell of death or the sound of amputations out of his head."  As many as 20,000 people a day may die, if surgeries can't be performed.  And there is the future for Haiti.  What can we do?  Education is key.  Agriculture. The planting of trees. The cultivating of natural resources (Haiti suffers from severe de-forestation).

I am overwhelmed by my feelings of pride and gratitude for my friend Ophelia. Partners in Health has been on the ground in Haiti for nearly 25 years. They have 4,000 employees in Haiti.  They have been providing health care for the poor in a country that does not care for its poor. And they are determined to Build Back Better.

This is the worst natural disaster in the Western hemisphere for as long as we can remember.  There are still long term plans that need to be solidified, but for now, you can do worse than donate to Partners in Health.

Stand with Haiti, please.

No comments: