Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My attempts to approximate beauty: an apology

The posting part comes in fits and starts.  Carrying a camera is easy.  The iPhone slips into my back pocket, a nice flat oblong, as I clamber through forests and splash about in waterfalls with dogs and there is so much beauty in the world it's hard not to try to capture it. Words don't do it justice or at least I fear that my words will come up short. And so, dear reader, you are blasted with wobbly hipstamatic photos in vibrant color and mostly out of focus, in my attempt to approximate the beauty for you.

But here is a poem, Afternoon on a Hill, by Millay, which manages quite well:

I will be the gladdest thing
Under the sun!
I will touch a hundred flowers
And not pick one.

I will look at cliffs and clouds
With quiet eyes,
Watch the wind bow down the grass,
And the grass rise.

And when lights begin to show
Up from the town,
I will mark which must be mine,
And then start down.

-- Edna St. Vincent Millay
(with thanks to The Gladdest Thing)

Later, there will be more.  Thank you for your continued support.  It is enormously heartening.


 

2 comments:

Tania Kindersley said...

Love the groovy hipsta pictures, esp the gorgeous dog ones, and love the poetry too. Never apologise.

LPC said...

Do not apologize, please. The gladdest thing under the sun, indeed.