Thursday, July 21, 2011

Girls

I came to girlfriends late in life. Not that I didn't appreciate the ones I had, the ones that had been there for the longhaul, through lumpy semolina and matrons with thermometers they put up your bum and falling off ponies and crying over spotty 14 year old boys, but it has come to me, dolt that I am, as an epiphany how your girlfriends are the backbone of your very existence.  I don't say this enough. I don't say it ever in fact, but the handful of women (You Know Who You Are, she says ominously) who've guided me and loved me and made me laugh and made me roast chicken and held my hand and taken me to see bad romantic comedies and poured me glasses of my favorite near beer and listened to me sob and wring my hands and tell lewd stories over the last couple of weeks has, in fact, blown my little mind.  I am rich with love and I am most awfully, humbly, tearily, heart-poundingly grateful. 

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

2 comments:

Wzzy said...

WE love you back. And remind me to tell you a little story about that when we see each other next. xo

Ann said...

I don't know you, but I know what you are saying about the women in your life.

The women who have have repeatedly loved me back to the place where I can sustain my well-being have taught me that whatever comes, I have the capacity to cope. Sometimes brilliantly.

I am sure to my bones that you do as well.