1 large eggplant or 3 Japanese eggplant
1/4 cup tahini
a few tablespoons water
2 tsp pomegranate molasses (available at Persian or Armenian markets; at a pinch, use maple syrup)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 tbsp parsley, chopped
handful of pomegranate seeds
salt & pepper
olive oil to finish
*for a salad, add halved cherry tomatoes and chunky chopped baby cucumber
- Put eggplant on a foil-covered cookie sheet and place under a hot grill so that the skin begins to burn. Turn the eggplant till it burns evenly. They suggest an hour. I think 30 minutes will suffice.
- Scrape the soft flesh from the eggplant and mush with a fork in a bowl.
- Add the tahini, water, pomegranate molasses, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Taste. Adjust seasoning. Add more garlic, lemon, salt, molasses as and if needed.
- To serve, spread into a shallow dish, scatter with pomegranate seeds and drizzle with the olive oil.