This traditional Spanish snack couldn’t be easier to make. Aside from good toasted bread, it requires very few ingredients: a garlic clove, a ripe tomato, some olive oil and flaky sea salt. In fact, the ingredient list is actually the recipe in shorthand. If you want a slightly more elaborate toast, garnish with anchovy fillets, slices of avocado or grilled shrimp. But even in its simplest form, this rustic toast is always satisfying.
- TOTAL TIME
- 2 slices of bread from a plain rustic loaf, about 1/2-inch thick
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 small ripe red tomato, halved, seeds squeezed out
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Flaky sea salt or fleur de sel
- Toast the bread on both sides under the broiler, on a stovetop grill or over coals, until it is perfectly browned, with a bit of give in the center, about 1 minute per side.
- Pressing down firmly, rub the top of each toast with the garlic. Press the tomato, cut side down, against the toast. Rub to moisten the toast and give it a juicy red color.
- Drizzle with olive oil and finish with a tiny sprinkle of sea salt. Serve immediately.