Monday, January 11, 2010

The Things They Carried



“To generalize about war is like generalizing about peace. Almost everything is true. Almost nothing is true. At its core, perhaps, war is just another name for death, and yet any soldier will tell you, if he tells the truth, that proximity to death brings with it a corresponding proximity to life. After a fire fight, there is always the immense pleasure of aliveness. The trees are alive. The grass, the soil – everything. All around you things are purely living, and you among them, and the aliveness makes you tremble. You feel an intense, out-of-the-skin awareness of your living self – your truest self, the human being you want to be and then become by the force of wanting it. In the midst of evil you want to be a good man. You want decency. You want justice and courtesy and human concord, things you never knew you wanted. There is a kind of largeness to it; a kind of godliness. Though it’s odd, you’re never more alive than when you’re almost dead. You recognize what’s valuable. Freshly, as if for the first time, you love what’s best in yourself and in the world, all that might be lost. At the hour of dusk, you sit at your foxhole and look out on a wide river turning pinkish red, and at the mountains beyond, and although in the morning you must cross the river and go into the mountains and do terrible things and maybe die, even so, you find yourself studying the fine colors on the river, you feel wonder and awe at the setting of the sun, and you are filled with a hard, aching love for how the world could be and always should be, but now is not.”

-- Tim O'Brien, The Things They Carried

The thing I love most about being in a democratic book group -- each person chooses a book -- is that I find myself reading books I would not choose for myself or even books that I don't think I want to read, until I crack them open.  Tim O'Brien's extraordinary The Things They Carried is one such book.  A set of "fictional" short stories about a small American platoon in Vietnam (it brings back images from the extraordinary "84 Charlie MoPic" which I had the privilege of working on), I think it's one of the most beautifully written and evocative books I've read. 

2 comments:

LPC said...

I've never forgotten this book. Even the title - comes to mind all the time.

Mrs L. said...

Oh Bum - I LOVE this book - haven't read it in years (I do remember a time when I got to read books!). But I remember loving it. Thank you for reminding me... Miss you.
xo