Thursday, January 24, 2013

January Jeliciousness: Oven-baked Scotch Eggs

Scotch eggs are one of those things that I buy at Waitrose on the way back from the airport when I get to England because I love them so much and you can't buy them here. My sister makes a brilliant version in the oven. She also makes a version with black pudding which she offered me but I wasn't sure that Los Angeles was ready for black (blood) pudding:

image via Chef Jeff
OVEN BAKED SCOTCH EGGS

6 eggs (boiled for 5.5 mins.)  You do not want to over-boil the eggs as they will cook more later in the oven.
50g/1/2 cup flour
1tsp dried mustard powder
7 tbs fine dried breadcrumbs
2 eggs beaten
400g/1lb sausage meat


Get 3 saucers or plates and put flour in one, beaten egg in another and finally the breadcrumbs mixed with the mustard powder
Divide sausage meat into 6 balls and then flatten (can be done using two layers of clingfilm/plastic wrap with the meat in between the layers)
Dip an egg in the flour, wrap the sausage meat around and pinch to close making sure there are no gaps and edges are sealed.
Put sausage covered egg in the beaten egg and then roll in the breadcrumbs.
Repeat with each egg.
Place on baking tray(preferably non stick) and bake in preheated over 190c/Gas Mark 5 until lightly browned for approx. 25 minutes.

Very much enjoyed by macho men! -- Coral

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you for this!! Enjoyed by macho men, true, but also by young women of discerning palate and little time. I love Scotch eggs: they are so comforting, so tasty, and so proteiny, the perfect food to eat in the middle of busy night shift - they succeed in turning a 4 a.m. snatched supper into a midnight feast like nothing else. (Eaten, of course, with a cup of tea, and ideally a few sticks of celery). I had no idea they were so easy, and will definitly be making them for my next round of on calls! Thank you to your sister! (And if you are ever brave enough to share the blood pudding egg, let me know! Sounds delish - if a bit more crumbly).

Lorraine said...

I will definitely make these. I love Scotch Eggs but have only made them the traditional way--and consequently, rarely, as I fail so very badly at deep fat frying.

I also appreciate the tip on leaving the yolk slightly soft--the photo has my mouth watering!