Thursday, February 21, 2013

February Fabulousness: Miss Handbag's Meatloaf



I dug this out of my old blog, from July 2004.  This is a world famous meatloaf  from my friend Lynn, who used to write for the NY Times and is now at W Magazine.  She doesn't use the internet (no, really) and wrote it out, rather romantically, on a 3x5 card, like a lady from the Women's Institute. (It is quite the best meatloaf I have ever tasted). At the top she wrote:
Dear Miss Whistle: feel free to put this in your sure-to-be-a-bestseller cook book. Love, Miss Handbag.


Miss Handbag's Meat Loaf
  
(I always double this or even triple the recipe) 


3/4 cup minced green onions
  
1/2 cup white or yellow onions
  
1/2 cup carrot

1/4 cup celery
1/4 cup red pepper

1/4 cup green pepper
  
2 tsp garlic
4 tablespoons butter
  
1 tsp ground black pepper
  
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground cumin
  
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1lb lean chuck (ground)*
  
1/2 lb lean ground pork
  
1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  
3 eggs beaten
 
* I use grassfed or organic beef

 
Preheat oven to 350. In a skillet saute onions, carrot, celery, peppers and garlic in the butter until very soft and beginning to brown. Cool to room temp. When cool, stir in black pepper, cayenne, cumin and nutmeg. In a large bowl combine vegetables with ground chuck, pork, catsup, breadcrumbs and eggs. Form into a loaf pan (or whatever shape suits you) and bake for 70-80 minutes. It can take longer (especially if you double the recipe) so check by the clean knife method.

Note: you can double up on ingredients if you're missing something -- for instance, 1/2 cup red pepper, if you don't have green.  Meat Loaf is forgiving. 

 Enjoy! (It's addicting)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss Whistle,
Please help me unsubscribe from your blog. I don't think I have a google account...I subscribed by email. I can't seem to find the "key" in order to achieve this function.
I will be watching your blog for any help you can give.
Thank you. L.S.N.

Anonymous said...

wonderful - have be bemoaning my meatloaf of late! I hope she's right and you will be gathering these together for a cookbook - what a great idea! x

Miss Whistle said...

Dear LSN,
I've been trying to think of a polite reply for your comment, in fact, I've been struggling with it all night. Sadly, I don't have one.
MsW

Anonymous said...

Miss Whistle,

I would like unsubscribe as well to your blog. I just get
very bothered by reading your superfluous endless diatribe.

Stephanie Turner Davidson

Marcheline said...

Looks like it's time to discontinue allowing "anonymous" commenters on your blog, Miss Whistle!

Miss Whistle said...

Dear Stephanie Turner Davidson, I wish I could help you with unsubscribing, but it is something that is done directly through blogger and I'm afraid I don't have access to who subscribes and who doesn't, so I'm afraid you may be stuck with my superfluous endless diatribe until we figure that out. Alternately, you could just delete the emails without reading them as you find them so bothersome.

Very best,

Ms W

Unknown said...

I loved the meatloaf and now I know what catsup is too! Thank you so much. xx