Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Kon-Tiki





I think I was the first to stand up and cheer when the directors of the Norwegian movie "Kon-Tiki" took the stage at the Aero Theatre last night. Joachim Roenning & Espen Sandberg's movie is an epic dramatization of Thor Heyerdahl's 1947 journey. It is gripping, absurdly beautiful, full of humor and the actors are superb.  Heyerdahl's journey is the stuff of legends and every Norwegian schoolboy know the story. We were taken every summer by my grandfather to the KonTiki museum in Oslo where we marvelled and ogled and never tired of it. The beauty of this film is the focus on the characters and the realtionship between the men as opposed to the science of it.

Read Anne Thompson's review here



It is in many ways the perfect Norwegian story. That of a brave man on a Holy Grail-type adventure, set against the backdrop of nature and questioning man's relationship with his world.   Norway is a nation of nature lovers.  There is a line in the film I love, (and I hope I quote this correctly); when they are on the raft nearly 100 days in and almost all conversation has ceased because there is no need for words, the men are lying on the deck at night in a star-shaped formation looking up at the sky and one of them says:
"Maybe nature has accepted us now, like the birds or the fishes."
Curiously, one of the major themes in the film is Heyerdahl's inability to swim and yet he sets out on his journey regardless.  I've never met a Norwegian who couldn't swim or couldn't ski. I believe they are born able to breathe in saltwater, like fish.

I am very, very proud to be (half) Norwegian.

** You can read Knut Haugland's obituary here. He was one of Heyerdahl's fellow adventurers and his life reads like a Boy's Own manual.

4 comments:

lillyanne said...

Thank you very much for this - I remember a film about the original voyage showng in New Zealand when I was growing up, and I found it fascinating and inspiring. And this also gives me an opportunity to say two other things to you - no, three: 1. Happy New Year! 2. I am so sorry you have been having such a bleak and miserable time with the breakup of your marriage - you're very brave to make it the subject of blog posts and I admire that courage very much, as well as the honesty and un-self-pitying way you deal with it, and 3. Thank you for all the terrific recipes you've posted lately.

Marcheline said...

As I don't believe in "lurking", just wanted to tell you I've just found you through Tania K.'s blog and have spent the last hour just reading, reading, reading...

Have noticed that while you have 195 followers, there are not many comments on your posts. Can't imagine why, unless you prefer it that way. I'm a bit verbose, hope it doesn't offend.

The combination of food and poetry and honesty here in your world is extremely soothing, yet at the same time it sort of pries off the bandages and lets the sun hit the wounds, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I've added you to my blog list and I'll be back. Feel free to wander around in my little corner of the blogiverse sometime if you feel the urge.

Marcheline said...

Miss Whistle - I replied to your comment on my blog... because now you have to come back to read it! 8-) I'm a sneaky wee divvil!

Seedy said...

It's one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Reminds of the of the quote: there is no certainty, there is only adventure...